The Questions and answer of Buddhist History from 2012
Instructions: Write an answer to each of the following questions that bears equal points of 10. You are required to attempt all 7 questions.
Q: How many castes (Vanna) or classes of people in Jambudipa, India were divided in to? And what were their duties?
A: The people in Jambudipa were divided into four castes. In each of these castes, they had their own duties, as follows:
- Khattiya or Kshatriya or the Warrior caste had the duty of being rulers or to govern the country.
- Brahmana or the priest Caste had the duty of being educationists and performing the religious rites.
- Vessa or Vaisya or the Caste of traders or Agriculturists had the duty of trading and farming.
- Sudda or Sudra or the Low Caste people had the duty of being labors and servants.
Q: Who were the divine messengers being seen by the prince Siddhattha (Siddhartha)?
A: There were 1. The old person 2. The sick person 3. The dead person and 4. The ascetic (Somana)
Q: What are the Four Holy Places of Buddhism?
A: They are the places where:
- The Buddha was born
- The Buddha got Enlightenment
- The Buddha gave the First Sermon of Dhammacakkapavattana Sutta
- The Buddha passed away
Q: On what day did the Buddha pass away?
A: On the full moon Day of the sixth Lunar Month.
Q: Who did offer the last meal to the Buddha?
A: Mr. Cundakammaraputta (Mr. Cunda the son of a goldsmith)
Q: What does the Merit Rite (Punnabidhi) talk about?
A: It talks about performing the merit Rites classified into two parts:
- The Auspicious Rite such as birthday ceremony, new house ceremony and marriage ceremony.
- The Inauspicious Rite such as death ceremony.
Q: What dose the Danabidhi refer to?
A: It refers to the alm-offering ceremony.